Monday 25 January 2021

Painting Russian Infantry

 I find the thought unlikely that anyone would like to use the same colours that I used for my Russians. I have found sources like Loki’s Great Ball, Napoleonics in Miniatures, JJs Wargames and McPhees Miniature Men invaluable for helping me with painting information (links below). That I thought you never know. Maybe just maybe, someone has hit rock bottom in Russian napoleonic infantry paint selection, comes across this site and thinks, I cannot look no further, this will do me. 

The paints I use are all Vallejo apart from the use of DarkStar paints “Pewter”. Dark Star do a really nice metallic paint and it’s available from SNM Stuff, https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/. I  use Pewter for the canteen thing on the backpack as it helps it sparkle a bit. The other note on this paint guide is that apart from the musket I use no other metallic paint. Instead I use Beige Brown then Ochre Yellow for the gold/brass fittings. The Ochre Yellow had a good pigment content and helps for the buttons, badges and  chinstrap to stand out. Maybe the most controversial part is the green for the uniform. I start off pretty dark green, the Luftwaffe green at this scale is not a big step up but starts to give some levelling up. The final green looks really bright on the palette, but it dries darker. It should used for top highlights and helps the green pop a little. 

Russian napoleonic uniform paint guide


No comments:

Post a Comment

Russian Napoleonic Cossack Artillery Limber

 Small conversion needed on these AB figures. The lance was removed from one and some lace removed from the officer figure. The limber horse...